3.12.2010

March 12, 2010: Morning Ride

No more snow....this morning it was warm enough for an early ride--still in your pjs--through the jungle and rocky desert that passes as our backyard.

Every time I see pictures of little suburban houses, with fenced yards (all mowed and clean and landscaped) I'm so jealous. There's something so calming to me about having a small manageable space like that. It's not like we live in the middle of the wilderness or that the little couple of acres the kids roam through is especially expansive--especially by Montana standards. Still, it feels a little wild. It's makes me crazy, but I think my kids love it.

And it seems important that they don't spend all of their lives in fenced-in and walled-in places.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the little perfectly landscaped yards are nice and all, but I don't care much about having it myself (though I am working on redesigning my patio and backyard area--adding a raised garden, pulling out some bushes and adding planters full of flowers and vegetables as much as we can--I love growing things), but the freedom of that openness is one of the things I miss the most. I like the line between backyard and wilderness (or at least cow field) being a little hazy. I miss being able to roam. My kids can't do that here.

    ReplyDelete