4.02.2011

Day 174: where my children watch gory and disturbing movies

TV watchers...they could at least finish making my bed before they take it over
I was watching 127 hours while putting all sorts of receipts and numbers and dates into spreadsheets to get taxes done when my three littlest people migrated into my room. I’m always telling my kids they can’t watch movies because of things that seem obvious to me that little people don’t need to see or hear (bad language, violence, sex. . .) but I probably need to be better at paying attention to the more realistic things they are seeing. 

They came in right near the end (where the man is about to lose his arm) and were all so interested in what was going on I let them watch the rest of it. In that 20 minutes I did realize they know more about outdoors maneuvering than I would have guessed. I expected them to be horrified by the movie (probably because that was my reaction) but instead they keep telling me things like you shouldn’t go hiking without telling people where you were going, and you really need to bring water when you go hiking. Azia was worried about how he’d make and keep a tourniquet on once she realized he was going to cut off his arm and worried about him filling up his water bottle without filtering it first. Occasionally Lex would jumped in with only loosely related three-year-old observations like,  “I don’t like to drink bugs!” Then Azia would go back to telling me how this story was a lot like Into the Wild and that both guys really didn’t seem to care much about if they’d get hurt but instead just thought about going places and taking pictures and writing about what they see and figure out. She thought that approach was interesting but she didn’t really understand why you’d be like that.

And then Lex interrupted her with, “He’s takin’ his arm off!” And then Zoran wanted to know about the watch he had and his keeping track of the miles and how fast he was going and why you’d do that. I told him then he could see how his times compared to what he read or how long it took him compared to other times he'd done the same hike so he could challenge himself. And the concept totally blew him away. “Challenge himself? How can you challenge yourself?” Apparently he’d never even considered the idea that he could compete against his own records or accomplishments. I’m not sure if it’s a good or bad thing for him to figure out. While he was discussing the details of what that might look like, Lex noticed, “ Oh he’s missing a hand.”

This is probably much too much gore for small children, but then again these are the same children who have been patients for all sorts of EMT classes since they could walk...and before in some cases. A couple years ago one of Azia’s friends came to pick her up in the middle of a giant awful training scenario that involved a dozen children in my front yard with various bloody and broken injuries. It wouldn’t be surprising if eventually other neighborhood children will not be allowed to play with mine. Of course that would be a mistake for all those other children, because should any trouble arise it might be handy to have someone around who knows about direct pressure and splinting and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment