3.05.2009

Israel Loves the MontCAST

Well I've spent the last few years complaining about how awful I think it is that we are having our kids do all this testing. I hate that they're cutting out all sorts of arts and even science and social studies so they have more time to get kids ready to pass these tests. (Often not even become more skilled at math or better readers, but more ready to pass the tests.)

And all along, apparently I'm opposing Israel's favorite weeks of the year.

As he was getting ready for school this morning, out of the blue he blurts out, "I'm in love with the MontCAST."

I asked him why and he said, "It's just so easy. I wish we did it every day. That's all you do all day long. There's no real work. There's no homework. And you have snacks."

"And it's all just basic stuff--stuff like all 5th graders should know. So you don't need to think a whole lot. It's like if Mr.Phillips just made a real easy test about stuff it doesn't really matter if we know or not."

So, this is what makes a good school day for a fifth-grader these days? No thinking. No challenges. Snacks.

Maybe it's worse than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment