12.04.2012

336: Great, Great Grandma's Quilt


Our house is a shambles and Lex got tired and couldn't find his regular blanket. He went and pulled this one off the quilt rack. My grandmother gave it to me a few years ago. It's a quilt her mother made for her. It's old and thin and stained and looks exactly like it's been used for decades.

It's one of my favorite things.

It's not one of the quilts we use every day, but when he wrapped up in it, I pretty immediately decided letting him use it for the night was better than throwing it back over the quilt rack. I think his great, great grandmother would have been happy to realize one of her blankets was still being loved more than a half century after she stitched it together.

2 comments:

  1. Are you familiar with Toni Morrison's short story "Everyday Use"? The first time I read it, it made me think of our grandmothers, and their mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it's great! But I think it's by Alice Walker? If I'm thinking of the same one.

    ReplyDelete