3.08.2011

Day 149: Montana Mardi Gras

I see me in her eyes!
Not a whole lot of Mardi Gras celebrating going on in Mission. Azia did explain to me what the colors were last night and what each meant and then dug into the craft stuff to feather up a fancy mask. She wanted to bring it to school because she said she knew one person was going to be wearing Mardi Gras colors "and that would be Ms. Batichuck." (And when she said that my first thought was why yes of course she would!) Azia didn't want to be left out of all the fun. All the girls showed up at Girl Scouts after school wearing fancy animal masks they'd made, so there must have been some sort of Mardi Gras something going on. The girls also all had a collection of beads, so I'm not exactly sure what sort of something was going on. I made the little boys some masks, too, after they found Azia's mess (which was still there this morning) and got all excited.  I think they thought they were some sort of sparkling, feathered superheroes. And maybe they were. They wore them to the post office and the grocery store and the car wash, and all locations remained completely crime-free while we were there.

New Orleans is one of my favorite cities to visit and I'd really like to go back, Mardi Gras season or not. But today I guess I have to settle for the jambalaya Dev made for dinner and my one-vehicle parade of masked preschoolers. (I didn't have enough money to finish the car wash so our clean car was sort of decorated with fluorescent pink spots. That was a nice festive touch.)

I am already planning to give up absolutely nothing for Lent, so I probably don't need any bigger party anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment